In API7 Cloud, a plugin is a rule that defines how the gateway instance will handle the requests. By saying handled, it means requests might be:
- transformed (headers, query parameters, body);
- protected (authentication, authorization, rate-limiting, etc.);
- recorded (logging, metrics, etc.);
- Plugins attached to the route only work for this route and will override the same ones on the service (instead of running them twice).
- Plugins attached to the service will affect all routes in this Service.
- Plugins attached to the consumer only work for this consumer and will override the same ones on the service and route (instead of running them twice).
- Plugins attached to the cluster will be effective for all API requests. Care must be taken that these plugins won't override the same ones on the service, route, and consumer, i.e. same plugins will be run twice (the one on cluster runs first).
API7 Cloud provides several plugins for different purposes. Please refer to the table of contents below to learn the details.
- Traffic Management